» Blog » Pet Health » Don’t feed chocolate to your dogs this Christmas

dog chocolate

Don’t feed chocolate to your dogs this Christmas

Posted by: Tim Berrisford  Date: 19/12/2012   Category: Pet Health

Christmas time is a time when the amount of chocolate eaten is allowed to go unnoticed with advent calendars, selection boxes and tins of chocolates in every household.  However please ensure all are out of the reach of your dogs. There is an issue all year round with dog owners treating their dogs to chocolate but especially at Christmas this happens even more so. This is extremely dangerous and not many people understand why.

The cocoa that the chocolate is made up from contains a compound called Theobromine and this affects the nervous system and also the heart muscle. Dogs cannot eat even a small amount of chocolate without the risk of being poisoned so whilst some might see it as a treat, it really isn’t worth the risk.

Dogs are voracious eaters. They eat tasteless things such as soil and grass which proves a point itself that dogs don’t need to eat luxurious treats such as chocolate. If you want to treat your dog to a sweet treat then please choose special dog chocolate which is available in most pet stores.

If your dog accidentally gets hold of any chocolate and you think some has been eaten then please seek medical advice from your vet on this matter. Stay safe this Christmas and avoid chocolate for your beloved dogs.