» Blog » Dont feed your dogs chocolate this Easter

Dont feed your dogs chocolate this Easter

Posted by: Tim Berrisford  Date: 02/04/2015   Category: Blog

We’d like to wish all of our customer’s a very happy Easter for this weekend.  We will be closed from Friday 3rd to Sunday 12th April. We would also like to take this opportunity to raise awareness of the dangers for dogs that comes with the celebration of Easter.

Whilst for humans, Easter will be full of Easter eggs for adults and children it is important you explain to your children and visitors the effects chocolate can have on your dog. Dog poisoning is an issue that vets deal with all year round however as celebrations like this, the amount of cases increases rapidly.

Chocolate is highly poisonous to dogs as it contains a natural chemical called Theobromine found within cocoa beans. It can be digested easily by humans however dogs digestive systems cannot break it down and it can then have an extreme effect on both their nervous system and their heart which may be fatal.

Dog owners are being urged to be aware of the amount of chocolate in the house as it is not always the case of someone unknowingly giving your dog chocolate, but could be a matter of chocolate being discarded or half eaten and left out. Dogs of course with their strong scent ability will be able to find this chocolate laying around in minutes and can be exceptionally dangerous if you are not in the house when your dog finds the chocolate.

Insurance company LV= Pet Insurance has produced findings that around Easter and Christmas the number of claims from dog owners as a result of chocolate poisoning doubles from any other time of the year. LV Pet insurance manager Julie Constable said: “As the Easter weekend approaches and people have more chocolate in the home than usual, we’re reminding those with dogs and cats to keep it well out of their reach.”

Initial signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting, restlessness and excessive drinking. You will then notice a difference in their breathing and they may have seizures. It is important you seek medical advice as soon as you realise your dog has eaten chocolate so they can help to care for your dog appropriately immediately. Contact your vet with the amount of chocolate your dog has eaten and the type of dog you have.

We hope you all have a great Easter.