Keep anti freeze away from your dogs in this cold spell
Parts of the UK are set to see temperatures plummet yet again and some parts will see up to six inches of snow. With this cold period approaching more people will be using anti freeze in their cars. Anti-freeze is a substance used to help cars deal with the cold spells however it is dangerous to pets and could even be lethal. It contains a substance called Ethylene Glycol which can cause catastrophic damage to the kidneys and further organs.
We urge all car owners to keep anti freeze in a secure place well away from the reach of their pets and more importantly to be extra careful when filling up your car with this substance, any spillages should be cleaned up immediately to prevent any dog coming across the spillage and licking it.
The Kennel Club secretary said: “Anti-freeze can be fatal to a pet such as a dog or a cat, so we are urging people to take care when using it, even just a little spill can kill. Unfortunately, the sweet taste makes anti-freeze tempting for our pets, so it is important to take care when using anti-freeze.”
If your dog has tasted anti freeze no matter how small the amount you must act quickly. Get your dog to a vet straight away and if possible try to make your dog sick as this will lessen the amount ingested into their body.
Take extra care during this cold spell and keep your dogs safe.