» Latest News » PDSA warns of feeding dogs chocolate this Easter

PDSA warns of feeding dogs chocolate this Easter

Posted by: Samantha Bartlett  Date: 28/03/2013   Category: Latest News

An animal charity has warned dog owners about feeding their pets chocolate this Easter.

The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) claims feeding the sweet treat to pets can be potentially life-threatening. This is because it contains the chemical, theobromine, which can be poisonous to dogs.

Effects of eating chocolate will usually appear within four hours for most dogs and will likely leave them groaning in their dogs beds, causing stomach pain, vomiting, excessive thirst, diarrhoea and restlessness. These symptoms can last as long as 24 hours.

However eating the treat can also lead to more serious issues such as an abnormal heart rhythm, high body temperature, rapid breathing and tremors. The most serious cases can even result in fits, kidney failure and death.

Talking about the situation, Elaine Pendlebury, PDSA senior veterinary surgeon, told independent.ie: “Many pet owners love giving their pet a treat but are unaware of the dangers of chocolate.” She claimed that dark chocolate is the biggest risk to dogs as it has the highest cocoa content.

The worst offenders for feeding their dogs chocolate, such as Easter eggs are owners from Northern Island, who are said to be twice as likely to give their pets the treat than those in the rest of the UK, according to belfasttelegraph.co.uk.