» Blog » Brands » ‘Say No To Sticks’ Safestix

‘Say No To Sticks’ Safestix

‘Say No To Sticks’ Safestix

Posted by: Sophie Berrisford  Date: 02/12/2010   Category: Brands

Say NO to sticks! Introducing an exciting new dog toy to help prevent stick injuries in dogs. Bend it, flex it, throw it, fetch it. Safestix are all about dogs; it was Razzle, one of their own Jack Russell Terriers that inspired the creation of this company and its products. The owners of Safestix used to love playing fetch with Razzle until a stick punctured the inside of his mouth. Safestix said “It became clear after doing some research that stick injuries are a huge problem causing untold injuries to countless dogs every year, despite the numerous balls, squeaky toys and other dog toys on the market there is nothing to replicate the sticks that most dogs love to chase” and at Scampers we could not agree more.

After this Safestix made it their mission to create a safe alternative to sticks. The mission of Safestix is a simple one: to create a safe alternative to sticks…..superb quality products that represent excellent value for money and toys that your dogs will love. Safestix worked with leading vets who have seen countless similar injuries during their careers to create a safe stick to play with. You can throw them further, they float in water and they’re nice and soft on dogs’ mouths. So the next time you go to the park, don’t grab a dirty, splintery, sharp old stick – grab a Safestix instead.

Safestix are now available at Scampers, Independent Pet Care Specialists since 1985. Recent article in The Times (29th September 2010) Stick Injuries – The Evidence Dan Brockman, Professor of Small Animal Surgery at the Queen Mother Hospital of the Royal Veterinary College, University of London, speaks about the perils of throwing sticks for dogs. “For vets it is one of the most frustrating kinds of injuries. Every year my colleagues and I treat dozens of dogs injured while running to fetch sticks thrown by their owners”. He further added “Many injuries are minor but some are horrific. They range from minor scratches to the skin or lining of the mouth, to paralysis of limbs, life-threatening blood loss, and acute and chronic infections.

The problem is that sticks are sharp – and very dirty. That means that, as the dog runs onto them or grabs them in its mouth, the end of the stick can easily pierce the skin, going through it to penetrate the oesophagus, spinal cord, blood vessels or the dog’s neck” . “Commonly, small or sometimes large pieces of stick break off and remain inside the neck. These sticks are usually covered in bacteria; fungi; and yeasts from the environment. In addition, the stick enters the body through a bacteria-laden site, the mouth, carrying those germs into the wound too. Unless the pieces of stick are all found and removed, infection develops. Sometimes these bacteria can become very resistant to antibiotics – so-called superbugs – that eventually can kill the animal”. “A study of both acute and chronic “stick injuries” in dogs, performed at the Royal Veterinary College, has shown how serious these can be.

Most dogs that were presented within 48 hours of the injury had surgical exploration of the neck and the majority were found to still have wood in their wounds. Spinal cord injuries were less common than oesophageal damage but the most lethal problem was infection. Several dogs involved in the study died as a result of their stick injury and these deaths almost always involved resistant bacteria and infection that spread from the neck to the chest”. “What’s more, dogs that were not presented to the RVC until some days after the initial injury, typically had serious infections building up around a residual wood fragment. These were challenging to treat, requiring either computerised tomography or MRI scans to find the fragments and needing one or more operations to remove them”. He concluded “What this research shows is that dogs that are allowed and encouraged to play with sticks can sustain serious injuries that result in bleeding to death, paralysis or acquiring infections that will kill them days or weeks later. For owners the cost can be huge. I have had dogs with stick injuries whose treatment has cost up to £5,000 – but which have ultimately died. What we have to recognise, however, is that dog owners love to throw sticks – and dogs love to fetch them”.

Click here to see more about the Safestix